Saturday, February 6, 2010

More Stress in February

I received an email while on vacation from Brett Dupree, who is Band Director at our local LinnMar Middle School. He asked if I was able to accompany some of his kids at a solo festival on Feb 25. The kids would pay me $15 for my services. I replied and said I would be happy to, but I'm not great so don't give me any hard pieces, and please may I possibly have more than one student if the schedule allows.

Tuesday I picked up my pieces. Brett said he gave me the most and sent me on my way. Bryn and I walked back to the car, I buckled her in, and I started sifting through the music right away because I was so anxious to see what I got. TWENTY-THREE pieces!!!! Gulp. I started feeling nauseous. I thought I would get 5 or so. I really thought that I might throw up. How am I going to do this?? And, note to self: ask more detailed questions before saying yes to anything!!

I picked up A&C from school and sat down at the piano. Some were way easy and I could play the first time through. Some will require some time from me, which I don't have much of since oh, Sunday, and how much time can I devote to one piece since I have 23??

The next day, Wednesday, I just had to give 2 pieces back, there was no way I could do them. Then Brett said, "Have you accompanied before?" "Yes," I said. "Is it okay to skip the middle note of a chord, stuff like that?" "Crystal," he said, "it's okay to skip every third chord."

Oh. Now I feel better. But really, it's been a LONG TIME since I've really played the piano. I only started playing again because of my Primary Pianist calling. It had been 5 years before that really since I had touched a piano. Yowza.

So the last 2 days I have been spending hours on the piano, in between hours on the computer & phone doing Primary stuff. I need someone to come and clean my bathrooms. Just let me make it through February!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my WORD!!!!!
a). What are you thinkin'?! If I was half as productive as you... sigh....
b). Brett is nice to deal with. I'm sure you could give him more pieces back, too, if needed. (The sooner the better.) Regardless, it'll be fine.
c). I want to be like you when I grow up....

Elizabeth said...

Holy canoli! You are a Primary President now! And fifteen bucks? Per kid or for all? May the force be with you...
Oh, I finally figured out how to put text on the header you did for me and made dividers. I think I did a signature but I won't know until I post again. I tried to do stuff on our pract. blog but couldn't. In all your spare time :) can you send me another invite to be a contributer?

I'm praying for you!