Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween

We had a fabulous, fun-filled Halloween. This year was fraught with anticipation since I had been making costumes for 3 weeks. Claire was determined to be a “super hero” with detailed instructions for colors and fabrics. I have NEVER sewn anything other than quilts. No cutting around patterns, the disorienting folding and unfolding of said patterns, and measuring children and figuring out sizes, reading the back of the pattern to figure out how much of what fabric was needed, etc. etc. etc. Oh my goodness. It was difficult and many times I had to enlist Kevin to make sense of what I needed to do next. But. I learned, I experienced, and her costume turned out fabulously. She and I were both very happy with it. I made the boots (2 weeks on those alone), mask, skirt, cape, belt, and the gauntlets and yoke and C on her shirt.

CostumeC3Cropped

Alaina didn’t really care about her costume. She was a bride last year, and it was fine with her to be a bride this year. I had a brilliant idea that she could wear my old jester costume. It’s adorable, and who cares if it’s big because it’s a fancy clown. She liked it ok except for that hat. It stands up very tall instead of the points flopping over. She mentioned on a few occasions how embarrassed she would be to wear the hat. I do not want to add to her tween angst, so I started to think of something else. And, while we were waiting for her to get her hair cut, I picked up a Family Fun magazine and saw a jelly fish costume. She “oohed” and “aahed” over it. So we made it. Believe me when I say that EVERYWHERE Alaina went her costume stole the show.  People were taking her picture at church’s Trunk or Treat, at the school parade parents asked me how I made it, and as we walked outside Trick or Treating we heard choruses of “Look at the jellyfish! That’s awesome!” She was completely pleased. And so was I.

CostumeA3

Bryn was Cinderella. We already had that costume. I wanted her to be a ninja girl. She wouldn’t have it. Ok then. (A month or so ago, Kevin was downstairs doing something. Bryn went to the basement door and said “Dad, whatcha doin? Secret ninja stuff?”)

CostumeB2Cropped

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow. Wow. Wowie-wow-wow.
Great job Crystal. I hope you have a bruise on you shoulder from all the pats on the back.
Very, oh-so cool costumes!
I'm glad they loved them!