I got a speeding ticket Friday morning after I dropped Bryn off at preschool at 8:50 and I was hurrying to get to Target, buy cupcakes and napkins for Claire's birthday, and drop them off at Westfield at or before 9:30 when they have their snack.
I was very very good to the policeman.
"I pulled you over because of your speed. Do you have any idea how fast you were going?"
"Right about 40."
"Do you have any idea what the speed limit is here?"
"No, I don't."
"It's 25."
"Oh, my goodness, I had no idea."
"I had you going at 43. That's 18 over."
"Whoa, I really didn't know."
"Do you have your license and registration?"
So I didn't play any games with him (ie not answer how fast I was going, ask what he clocked me at) and I really didn't know it was 25.
My route to preschool is:
Main Street - starts at 35 then goes to 45
E Robins Rd - 45
29th Ave Marion - evidentally 25
Linn-Mar high school street - 35
So sneaky to put a 25 mph street right after a 45.
Oh yeah. I gave him my license and it expired THAT DAY!!! Actually it expired 2 months ago on my birthday, 7-19, and he pulled me over on 9-19. Thank goodness at least I had 60 days to renew.
"I'm going to write your ticket for 10 over instead of 18 over, the 18 over ticket would have been $108, this one is $76."
"Thank you."
"Get your license renewed today."
"Yes, I will."
So he gave me a break, thanked me for being cooperative, and I went on my (very slow) way. I was five minutes late with the cupcakes.
So Kevin was working from home on Friday and so I had to tell him about it right away. He was not happy. It has been about 8 years since my last speeding ticket, but Kevin tells me a lot that I drive too fast. Kevin does not. Kevin cannot be hurried. Ever. It is frustrating. I can be 10 minutes late to a very important event that I am in charge of where I am saying the opening prayer and then singing a song then showing a video then doing cartwheels, and he will not speed. He also knew that I was in a 25 mph zone. "It's residential! Of course it's 25!" He paid the ticket online right away then ordered me to get my license taken care of. I did and for the DMV at lunchtime, it was rather quick and painless. I thought I might have to take the written test but I did not.
Here's to more than another 8 years ticket-free.





0 comments:
Post a Comment