Saturday, July 4, 2009

MondoCherry

I came across a fabulous website www.mondocherry.blogspot.com. I haven’t read their bios closely, but it’s a group of artsy crafty sisters showing their wares. Oh my goodness do I love them. It’s not the level of Martha Stewart. It’s stuff that I look at and think “I can do this. I want to make this. I VOW to make this!”

It was announced that Activity Days would be having a talent night again and I thought this would be a perfect time to encourage Alaina to make some wall art for her new bedroom and at the same time try out some of mondocherry’s work.

Here is theirs:

FabricSquares

This is Alaina’s:

AFramedFabric

It really isn’t great. I used frames for these projects I already had, and a square white one would have been great rather than a rectangular wooden one. But it’s filled with purple so she loves it. Alaina cut all the fabric and glued it down.

Here is theirs:

FabricFlowers

This is Alaina’s:

AFramedFlowers

I really like how this one turned out. I looked for a small purple scrap pad at Michael’s but I couldn’t find ANY purple. Blues, greens, yellows, pinks – everything else but purple. Spacing the flowers was tricky since again, the frame wasn’t square, but it turned out ok. Alaina liked cutting out the flowers and bending them to get them to curl, and then gluing on the buttons in the middle.

I would like to do this one from mondocherry for my own bedroom:

FabricSquaresb&w&color

They bought b&w fabric then added the colored mattes and sewed matching beads to the flowers. Well, maybe it would be better for a little girl’s room. The b&w fabric is sophisticated enough for an adult, but I don’t know about the colored portion. I can just do something more like this for my bedroom (from an ezine); just fabric-covered plaques:

Fabric On Plaques

More stuff I love from mondocherry:

PaperFlowersSewnFrame FabricButtonsFrameimage image

4 comments:

Hank & Michaele said...

Crystal, I love the black and white designs on black stones. Stunning folk art. LEt me know if you need Grandma to help out. I have some experience with childcare, house care, feeling overwhelmed, and overcoming. Part of the idea of Family (biological as well as ward) is that you are not only allowed to ask for help, you are encouraged to do so.

Alaina, you did a great job, and I hope that every time you look at what you created, you feel joy and gratitude.
Love,
Grandma Burris

Elizabeth said...

Wow, way to go Alaina! I love it! Maybe you can inspire me to decorate, Crystal!

Michael Burris said...

If you like hand crafted stuff, look at ETSY.com - it's an eBay-like auction site limited to handmade items.

There's some pens I like, I've bought earrings for Melody, and we're getting a toy for Bryson this way. I haven't looked at more "art" items, but I'm sure they're there.

The coolest thing on the site is the ability to arrange commissions. You post your specifications, and interested artists can contact you to work out the details (and payments.)

Crystal said...

I know etsy; I've looked there specifically for the quilts; what quality and how much to see if I could compete. I don't want to buy stuff people have already made; I want to make it myself. But it would be a good place to go for more inspiration.