Thursday, September 22, 2011

Drain: Stop Draining!!

We went to see Kevin's surgeon yesterday. It was not very promising. Kevin's drain is still draining, though the amount has lessened overall quite a bit. Because this is not an emergent situation we will wait 2 more weeks to see if the drainage completely stops. This really needs to happen. If it does not:

* Kevin would have to stop eating for 6 weeks and return to only TPN nutrition (sugar water) likely administered at night. This is longer than he had it in the hospital. This is because Dr thinks the fluid might be coming out of the colon because tests show it is not the small intestine. However, he was quick to point out that he has never been near Kevin's colon though Kevin did have a drain placed by radiology near it. Kevin not eating would allow the colon to heal on its own.

* If not eating for 6 weeks doesn't stop the fluid a surgery to find the leak would be necessary. Kevin has a bad feeling that another surgery might be necessary. Obviously we do not want this to happen.

Neither of these options is ok with us. I think we have been pushed towards getting a second opinion. I will start making some phone calls tomorrow and hope we can get in to see someone soon. Also, all surgeons in Cedar Rapids are part of the PCI conglomerate so we will have to move our search to Iowa City. I am looking for any recommendations for a surgeon so we don't shoot in the dark and end up in the same boat we are in now.

2 comments:

Lilly said...

Thanks for the update. I wish you had some answers and I hope they are coming soon!

D Lee said...

I hope you find a second opinion. If it results in a different perspective, great! If it doesn't, then at least you'll know something that way. Sorry your hubby is such a mystery to his doctors. Hang in there.